Data Intern – Newport News, VA
Who We Are:
The Virginia Civic Engagement Table connects and strengthens Virginia’s progressive activists and nonprofits and builds diverse, progressive leadership for a better future for all Virginians. Our partners work together to advance equality, justice, and opportunity, to win shared policy victories and strive to engage underrepresented communities in the democratic process.
We are a small team of people who care about each other and are passionate about the work we do together. We are incredibly diverse, and we see that as one of our greatest strengths. We dream big and are not afraid to try something new and fail.
Responsibilities as a Data Intern:
- Support data collection systems by working closely with staff and volunteers;
- Provide data training to volunteers;
- Draft weekly reports for the team;
- Conduct routine data cleanup and daily quality assurance;
- Similar tasks as needed.
Skills and Requirements:
- Have an interest in databases and an appreciation for data-informed decision making;
- Knowledge of SQL preferred but not required;
- Experience working with Google Docs, Sheets and MS Excel;
- Have excellent written communication skills, and are comfortable spending a lot of time on the phone and video calls, and can build relationships from a remote setting;
- Have a demonstrated ability and commitment to work with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Highly organized, with a track record of meeting short and long-term responsibilities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment;
- Have experience volunteering or working in a nonprofit or campaign setting, ideally including experience in community organizing;
- Pay strong attention to detail.
- Must have a personal laptop and cell phone.
- Must have access to reliable transportation
Compensation: Interns are paid a stipend of $1000 a month and eligible for academic credit if applicable.
Details: This position reports directly to VCET’s Technology and Field Manager.
Location: VCET’s headquarters is in Richmond, VA. There is also a second office in Newport News, VA
Application deadline September 30th. Position to be filled by October 15th. Email resumes to Latonya@engageva.org.