SEIU Virginia 512: Organizer Position – Fairfax County
SEIU Virginia 512: SEIU Virginia 512 is a dynamic labor union, representing Fairfax and Loudoun county employees, and home care workers across Virginia. We are committed to winning living wages, quality health care, retirement security and justice for our members and for all working people. We educate and empower our union members with the information they need to do their jobs well, and to take action at work and in the community to hold management and elected officials accountable.
Position Summary: Organizers help grow our union, identify activists and leaders, educate and empower union members to take action at work and in the community, work with community partners, elect champions and hold elected officials accountable; all in order to build power for union members and working families.
The Fairfax County Organizer will work with Fairfax County employee union members and non-members on a daily basis, though they will be assigned to work with other union members on a limited basis.
Job Responsibilities include:
- Conduct broad and intensive outreach efforts to non-union workers and union members;
- Build one-on-one relationships with workers;
- Identify, recruit and develop worker leaders, including volunteer member organizers;
- Conduct individual and group meetings with workers to move organizing campaigns forward;
- Engage, motivate and mobilize workers to take action;
- Plan and carry out actions and events to support worker organizing efforts;
- Under the direction of the lead, lead new and internal organizing campaigns, and assist in executing strategic organizing plans for the union;
- Ensure the tracking, reporting and analysis of campaign data;
- Work with allied organizations and communities in the fight for better conditions for workers;
- Coordinate with other local union staff to carry out the union’s organizing program and priorities.
Qualifications: Candidates should posses previous organizing experience; a strong commitment to working people and justice; strong personal, verbal and written communication skills. Candidates should also thrive in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
Successful candidates will bring the following skills and attributes to the position:
- Minimum of one-year prior experience in organizing and demonstrated commitment to workers’ rights and social justice. (If no prior experience, position may be offered as an Organizer in Training);
- Adept at leading and motivating workers in difficult struggles;
- Relevant knowledge, including labor regulations, issues, etc.;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to relate, establish and cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Skilled at meeting deadlines in a fast-paced campaign environment;
- Strong oral, written and listening skills;
- Excellent analytical and judgment skills;
- Excellent organizational and prioritizing skills;
- Flexible and adept at dealing with changing priorities;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Working knowledge of computer programs including social media, Word, Excel, VAN, and good planning and administrative skills;
- Kindness, empathy and concern for others.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license with a good driving record;
- Ability and willingness to work long, irregular hours, including evenings and weekends;
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently and often for extended periods of time within Virginia;
- Relocation to the Northern Virginia area is required if offered a position.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range of $39,000 – $45,000, based on organizing experience, plus $500/month auto allowance, annual cost-of-living-adjustments and merit raises. Benefits package includes: defined-benefit pension, fully-paid health insurance, generous paid leave, etc. Position is an overtime exempt salaried position
Affirmative Action Employer SEIU Virginia 512 is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of race, ethnicity, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender or gender identity, marital status, religion, or disability. We work to ensure fair treatment of applicants and employees and actively enforce policies against discrimination and sexual harassment.
Interested applicants should send their resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Organizer Position.”