Advocacy Training is Finally Here!
The much anticipated Advocacy Training is this weekend, September 14th-15th. Your organization still has time until the end of the day Friday, September 13th to enter to win a free team lunch (1st place winner) and mystery prizes (2nd and 3rd-place runner ups)! Don’t forget to use this social media kit with pre-drafted Facebook posts, tweets and hashtags to recruit attendees for the chance to win. Just remind your recruits to fill in the “referral” field with your organization’s name when they register. We’ll announce the winners after the conclusion of the event on September 15th. Please use #AdvocacyTraining2019 to be part of the conversation on social media! If you have any questions, contact Alex Bratton at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’re looking forward to seeing you this weekend!
September Partner Meeting
Our next VCET Partner meeting will be Tuesday, September 26th, 2019 from 1:30-3:30 p.m. (please note the slight time shift). The meeting will be held on the 6th floor in the back room of the 1717 Innovation Center (1717 E Cary St, Richmond, VA 23223) located a short walk from the VCET Richmond office. There will be both in-person and virtual options to attend the meeting, so please RSVP to receive the virtual meeting information. It was such a pleasure to see so many partners at our July meeting and we look forward to seeing you again this month. The agenda for the meeting is as follows:
- Welcome and introductions
- Shared Universe (GOTV)
- Census Plan
- Update from our Board on mission and vision
- Board Nominations
- Closing and Announcements
VCET Board Nomination
At the September 26th partner meeting, we will be accepting nominations to the VCET Board. There are nine seats on the VCET board, seven of those are held by members of partner organizations and voted on by partner organizations at the December partner meeting. Board members serve two-year terms and are limited to two consecutive terms. There are four seats up this year, so at a minimum, we will need to receive 4 nominations but would love to see more than that! You can find the one-pager on the full nomination and voting process here. If you have any questions please reach out to Irene Shin at email@example.com.
Help Us at the Virginia State Fair
As you know, we’re going to the State Fair for the first time! We will have a booth for the entire 10 days of the fair, September 27th – October 6th, to engage attendees about the 2020 Census. We are seeking volunteers who are interested in helping 200,000+ State Fair attendees fill out pledge-to-be counted postcards and give out fun prizes! We’ll have 3 shifts throughout the day and 4-5 volunteers each shift. You can find available days and shifts here. The best thing about volunteering with us? FREE entry to the fair AND after completing one 4-hour shift, you will have the rest of the day to spend at the fair and a meal stipend (for funnel cakes, turkey legs, the usual state fare–pun intended!). We’d love to have your participation to make this event a huge success; sign up here!
We would also like to further extend our invitation to VCET partners who are interested in Voter Registration during the State Fair. Please email Tierra Ragland about how you can team up with us. Let us know if you have any questions!
Election Protection 2019
We are gearing up for Election Protection 2019! We need as many volunteers as possible to make the biggest impact and protect the vote of Virginians throughout the state! If you don’t have plans on Election Day besides voting, please join us for a shift at a precinct in your area. Sign up to volunteer here. Certified volunteer hours or stipends available. Contact Alex Bratton at Alexandria@engageva.org for more information.
VCET Data, News & Tips of the Week
State Voices Administration Request Time Frames
Time is of the Essence:
Whether it’s planning for phone/text banks, creating new scripts, requesting exports, in the world of organizing, time is of the essence and a resource we do not have a lot of it. To ensure data administration requests are responded to and processed promptly and in time for events and programs, please review the State Voices Administration Request Time Frames.
IMPORTANT: VCET Support Helpdesk
Our VCET Helpdesk first rolled out back in March 2019. As many can attest to, our inbox is very busy and at times important communications may get drowned in the flood of emails pouring in. And it’s difficult keeping track when I’m sorting through two different systems (email and helpdesk). On a daily basis, I receive numerous support requests and I work to respond to them as efficiently as possible but some requests tend to get lost in the sea of other email communications.
If you haven’t already. Please set up a user profile to use our Helpdesk ticketing system. To learn how to sign up and use the new ticketing system please watch this brief How-To video.
After signing up and creating a user account the VCET Support helpdesk, you can create new tickets and track existing ones.
UPCOMING TRAINING from State Voices Census Workgroup
Digital Organizing Videos and Trainings
From State Voices Census Program Manager, Elena Langworthy,
“270 Strategies and Do Big Things just launched new digital organizing tools in coordination with the Census Counts campaign. There are six short videos on introductory digital organizing information such as the use of email, text messaging, and digital ads. Additionally, five 60-minute online training [sessions], providing proven digital organizing techniques for census outreach will begin this month. The videos are already available through the Census Counts website.
Below are the training [sessions] and links to registration; these can be shared widely!”
- VCET Support website: https://vcet.freshdes
- Tuesday, September 17, at 3:00 PM
- This training will teach how to recruit, schedule, and manage volunteers as well as create events and reports all under the MyCampaign tab.
- Tuesday, September 24, at 2:00 PM
- Microsoft Access is a simple, yet powerful, tool for creating databases. In this webinar, beginners will learn to create a database, import data, write queries, and do basic analysis.
- Thursday, September 26, at 3:00 PM
- Why the census matters and how you can get involved. This training will cover the importance of the Census, the Census operational plan, useful tools, and civic engagement tactics to ensure a complete count in your state
- Tuesday, October 1, at 3:00 PM
- We will be reviewing the various fields and tools available in VAN’s “Create a List” portal, and provide instruction on how to use those tools to build targeted lists for different types of programs.
- Thursday, October 10, at 2:00 PM
- Get detailed advice on how to protect yourself, your data, your organization from threats.
- Data and Compliance (must score 14/17 to pass)
- VAN 101: Intro to My Voters
- My Voters 102
- My Voters 103
- Creating Lists and Targeting
- Data Models
- Virtual Phone Bank
- Predictive Dialer
- Cutting Turf
- Data Entry
- My Campaign Basics
- Introduction to Tableau
NEW: Hustle On-demand Video Training
Training new staff or accessing refresher lessons is now a click away with Hustle’s on-demand walkthrough videos.
- Hustle 101 (overview and Goal creation walkthrough) 20-minutes
- Hustle + VAN Integration 4-minutes (note: VA LAN already has a VAN integration in place)
- Hustle Goal types 5-minutes
- Hustle Goal Assignments 2-minutes
- Using Hustle to Track your Data (Supporters, Volunteers, Donors) 6-minutes
If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.